Cerebral palsy and school

Children with cerebral palsy can either go to a state-funded school, a public school, can be home-schooled or go to a school for children with special needs. Your choice will largely depend on your financial possibilities and the level of disability your child has.

“Normal” schools

Schools for children without disabilities, i.e. state-funded schools and public schools, may or may not be equipped to deal with the special needs of children with cerebral palsy. However, they have the advantage that children with disabilities can learn in a normal environment and actually get better results because they are more challenged by the normal curriculum.

Public schools are generally better funded and may have better facilities to suit your child’s needs, but this is not a rule. Some state-funded schools have state-of-the-art facilities. Scout the available options and choose the best one based on your child’s individual needs.

Home-schooling and special schools

If you decide to home-school your child, you’ll be depriving her of the company of her peers. While you may fear things such as bullying and peer pressure, the community at school has also many good qualities. You’ll have to provide your child with additional opportunities to socialize with peers.

Special schools are fully adapted to deal with the special needs of children. But the curriculum is also adapted, which usually means – simplified. If your child is bright and curious and cerebral palsy is just a minor obstacle for him, don’t send him to a special school.


  • Brenda

    Going to a private school may be a problem when you have to move. We had great facilities in our previous school and in the new one, they are rudimentary.

  • Scott

    Home-schooling can be great for truly devoted parents who love spending every minute of every day with their children. But I don’t think there are many such parents.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *